Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It pays to save (and backup!)

Well, last year about this same time, by coincidence, I woke up on the first day of school to find that my computer was inoperable... something had gone wrong with it that wouldn't even let it start up. It took about a week for me to finally arrive at the conclusion that the hard drive had crashed and needed to be replaced. I had it replaced... but still suffered the loss of almost everything I had put on there. There were only a few things which I had still saved in other locations... including the contacts that I had saved on my cell phone and was able to restore immediately. There was, however, an entire semester's worth of work / notes / files on there that I had saved. The hard lesson was: always ALWAYS back up what you are working on!

Anyhow, a similar thing happened to me just the other day. I was in the midst of updating some of the software on my computer, while sync-ing some data on my cell phone... when iSync suddenly stopped working correctly. I cancelled the sync and ended up having to force-quit the program -- and.... then discovered that all the contacts in my computer's address book had disappeared. I tried to sync it again in order to get the contacts from my cell phone into the computer. Presto! It made all my cell phone contacts disappear.... :-(

Here was the acid test... had I learned my lesson about losing data? Had I kept a back-up somewhere of all my contacts? :-D This is where the story has a happy ending. I had backed all my critical settings and important documents on my 80 GB iPod! I fished out the appropriate files, restored my computer's address book, and then synced them back to my phone. Three cheers for backing up your files!

No comments: