Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2008

New Semester, with a bitter twist?

On the 7th of January, the winter semester started here in Provo, and the first thing I notice when I woke up is that the music I had playing on my computer the night before, has somehow been muted. I went over to my laptop to see what was the matter, and found that it had frozen. Worse than that, it wouldn't respond to any command that I gave it... so I just turned it off. I turned it back on to let it re-boot, and left to take a shower. When I got out of the shower 10 minutes later, it was still a blank white screen... and the fan was blowing like crazy... and what sounded like the hard-drive was making a soft rhythmic syncopated clicking noise. I was mildly alarmed... I didn't ever remember teaching it that trick! Trying to coax it into good behavior produced no result... even trying to boot it off of the OS DVD that came with the computer. I just left it at home for the day, figuring I'd just deal with it later. So, the VERY first day of class, I was without my computer, with which I usually take notes. It was an odd feeling!

Now, almost two weeks later, I'm finally sending it off to the manufacturer (after having a few friends try to tinker with it, having the logic-board replaced, and now the computer won't even turn ON!) to have them replace what needs replacing under the warranty, which is still good.

Now, the guessing came comes in... is it something to do with the memory, the logic board, or the hard drive? I'm praying it's not the hard drive, because I had unwisely NOT backed the majority of that information up. Luckily, HAD backed up my music from iTunes on a DVD, but my class notes, my journal, and several pictures that mean a lot to me are on there... and if those are gone, I'm afraid that I'll be very, very sad.

Moral of the Story: Back up your data, however you can, and do it OFTEN!

Hopefully, within a couple of days, I'll have my computer back, and be able to write, at the very least, a bitter-sweet ending to this story.

No comments: